Are you a Dental Phobic?
Take the test to find out.
Find A Dentist Near You Start Here

Expert answers

We know how daunting dental treatment can be. Our Dental Phobia certified experts are here to help ease your mind before treatment by answering your questions.

How can I get treatment when I am too scared to return to the dentist?

I visited a dentist a year ago and was diagnosed with 3 teeth suffering infection, extraction was offered. My fear was oppressive after 4 wisdom teeth extractions failed in the chair years earlier resulting in one cracking in half, successive failings to numb my teeth during many visits for fillings, having 4 teeth extracted as a child due to having too many teeth allegedly?

For my wisdom teeth I was eventually offered GA and found it peaceful, but this dentist tried to numb the first of 3 extractions and failed, the pain was intense and thankfully she stopped and decided to drill and temporarily fill them instead and refer me to a specialist…. the treatment was hell, the infected roots prevented full numbing but somehow I endured.

Then 8 months ago the “specialist” contacted me and I asked how they were to numb me where she had failed…their response was that they were 5 times faster than other dentists, I freaked out, I didn’t want faster I needed painless.

Needless to say I didn’t go, I now have an abscess in one of the teeth, but shame and utter fear prevent me seeing a dentist again. Can I see a GP and ask for referral for GA? Otherwise I am resigned to accepting the pain,praying they fall out on their own and risking my life I guess with the abscess infection spreading.

Im so sorry you have been suffering so much .
It sounds as if your teeth take longer than average to numb up , or need a higher than average dose of local anaesthetic.
You can definitely ask to have a GA to have teeth out . This could be at a local hospital or dental hospital.  You need to be assertive about what you want though , and stress that you can only accept that , otherwise they may try to persuade you out of it .
There are also facilities where sedation can be done on the NHS for extractions .
You need to ask the dentist to refer you . Its possible that a GP might be able to do that as well.  Hope you get the teeth out painlessly.

Answer provided by: Dr Jennifer Pinder Retired
Copyright 2024 Dental Phobia | GDC | Last updated: April 2024 Website design by The Fresh