NuCalm is a revolutionary new system that helps patients with dental phobia. The system is a safe and proven method, which calms patients before and during treatment, and is becoming more and more popular. NuCalm treatment does not use controlled substances and therefore allows patients to feel comfortable naturally. The lack of sedatives means there are no side-effects and patients are, as a result, able to go about their daily comings and goings without any worry following treatment. The relaxation achieved by the NuCalm method is so great that it can be compared to the end results of a body massage.
What is NuCalm?
NuCalm is a system that naturally brings patients into a state of relaxation, without the use of controlled substances. The system brings the nervous patient into the first stage of sleep within five minutes, allowing them to feel calm before and during dental treatment. After being used on over 13,000 patients in the UK and US, 98% said they would use NuCalm again for dental treatment and 97% would recommend it to a friend or relative. Procedures where NuCalm has been used with great success include periodontal treatment, root canals, tooth extractions, and bridge and crown treatment.
How does it help those with dental phobia?
Those who are extremely nervous or scared about even sitting in the dentist chair can benefit from the instant relaxation provided by the NuCalm system. The system works to relax patients to the same level as when they’re about to fall asleep, and can be achieved within three to five minutes. This is done by lowering high beta brain waves, associated with fear, to alpha brain waves, linked with meditation.
What does NuCalm treatment involve?
The NuCalm treatment will only take three to five minutes and is comprised of a four-stage process. These stages are:
- Patients chew on tablets containing Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid (GABA) and L-Theanine that counteract adrenaline. A nutrient formula, naturally found in the brain and that is exclusive to NuCalm, helps to increase a natural relaxation response within the body.
- Secondly, Cranial Electrotherapy Stimulation (CES) patches are placed behind the ears that emit microcurrent stimulation and open the brain’s receptors to the tablets. Research has shown that this kind of stimulation helps to increase the relaxation response in the body.
- The patient also wears special noise-dampening headphones (NeuroAcoustic Binaural Beat Software). Along with soothing music, these help the brains waves to settle to a level similar to a natural pre-sleeping stage. Finally, special glasses are worn that black out everything in sight, thus eliminating any visual stimulation for the patient.
Does it hurt?
Not at all. The experience aims at relaxing patients to the first levels of sleep, so that they are unaware of anything happening around them. None of the elements involved in NuCalm will cause the patient any distress or pain. The dentist is able to cut down procedure time, and is also secure in the knowledge that the patient is at ease and comfortable. This works to create a treatment solution for dental phobia patients that is safe and effective.
How safe is it?
It’s perfectly safe as no controlled substances, needles or invasive methods are used during the relaxation treatment. During treatment, the patient is:
- Conscious and able to respond to voice commands
- In a state where muscles are relaxed and breathing is calm
- Distracted from the dental treatment
- Not compromised by the side-effects of any sedation
- Physically unable to have an anxious response as they are in a state of deep meditation
Is NuCalm widely available?
NuCalm is becoming more and more popular in the United Kingdom and the United States. Asking around in the local area is the best way to find out a practice that offers NuCalm.