Are you a Dental Phobic?
Take the test to find out.
Find A Dentist Near You Start Here

Expert answers

We know how daunting dental treatment can be. Our Dental Phobia certified experts are here to help ease your mind before treatment by answering your questions.

Can I be referred to a hospital for dental treatment?

I’m 17 and terrified of the dentist and recently have been experiancing a very uncomfortable pain at the left side of my mouth, I’ve had some X-Rays done by the dentist and they said I needed one of my teeth out, they started of by giving me simple treatments such as a polish and I was fine with this until they decided to go higher and do a filling and even though it was a shallow filling and they had numbed my mouth I felt every part of it. This put me off even more then they told me I can’t be refered to hospital to get them out. Would you suggest I just baired the pain and let them do it or should I be adamant I want refered?

It sounds as if the local anesthetic hadnt worked well enough for the filling .
If you want to have the tooth out under sedation then you can ask to be referred somewhere for this .
They cant say that you cant be referred .
However its sometimes not easy to get the facilities to do this , and there may be quite a wait , or you have to travel .
Perhaps you could ask for some sedative tablets or ask them for more anaesthetic if its uncomfortable /
Its often easier to get a tooth numb for an extraction, than say a lower back tooth

Answer provided by: Dr Jennifer Pinder Retired
Copyright 2024 Dental Phobia | GDC | Last updated: April 2024 Website design by The Fresh